Common card FAQs.
- Online Self-Serve: If you have not already registered for a MyCardInfo account, you can do so at the direct link associated with your credit union. MyCardInfo provides you 24/7 access to your account where you can view your account transactions and e-Statements, make one time or set-up recurring payments, and enroll for transaction and fraud alerts. MyCardInfo also allows you to reference information about your card and the cardholder agreement via the Product Benefits Guide by selecting Account Info > Product Guide.
- Cardholder Services: Our contact centre is available 24/7 at 1.855.341.4643 to answer questions about your credit card account, discuss suspect transactions, report a lost or stolen card, provide any general information or account management services you may need.
- Making a Payment: You can continue to make payments to your credit card account via MyCardInfo, through your financial institution, or by mail. Visit collabriafinancial.ca/cardholders for more information.
- Earning and Redeeming Points: If you have a points-based card, you will continue to earn and be able to redeem points as usual. You can access your online account at reward-headquarters.com/groupCollabria/home.
Getting started with your Visa Debit card.
If you’re an existing MemberCard holder, you can expect to receive a new Visa Debit card to replace your expiring MemberCard close to your card expiry date.
If you’re a new member, you’ll get a new Visa Debit card when you open a new account and request card access.
If you’re an existing member but currently do not have a MemberCard, you may request a new Visa Debit card anytime by calling our Member Connection Centre at 1.866.923.4778 or visiting your local branch.
Note: The MemberCard renewal process for existing cardholders is currently paused due to a production delay (February 2023). Members whose cards are set to expire will have their expiration dates extended until they receive their new Visa Debit card
Once you get your new Visa Debit card, please begin using it immediately for your day-to-day banking to activate your card. Remember to destroy your existing MemberCard once your Visa Debit card has been activated.
No, your PIN will remain the same as your previous MemberCard. You can also change your PIN by visiting any connectFirst branch, any ATM in Alberta with the Acculink logo, or any credit union participating in Everlink PIN Sharing.
You may continue to login to your online banking platform with your existing username and password.
If you previously used your MemberCard numbers, we encourage you to visit your local branch or contact the Member Connection Centre at 1.866.923.4778 to set up a username for online banking purposes.
If you currently have an active MemberCard, you will be provided with a new Visa Debit card over the next 12 months. You can expect to get this in the mail close to your MemberCard expiry date.
If you’d like to replace your MemberCard with a new Visa Debit card right away, we can help. Simply call our Member Connection Centre at 1.866.923.4778 or visit your local branch to request a new card.
Note: The MemberCard renewal process for existing cardholders is currently paused due to a production delay (February 2023). Members whose cards are set to expire will have their expiration dates extended until they receive their new Visa Debit card.
You may have received two Visa Debit cards if you already had two existing active MemberCards. The mailer that comes with your Visa Debit card will tell you which MemberCard it is replacing.
If you only use one of the active cards, make sure to check the mailer to know which card you will need to activate. If you no longer need one of your cards, you may close this card by calling the Member Connection Centre at 1.866.923.4778 or visiting your local branch.
Canadian Merchants Online, Over the Phone, and By Mail
• Visa Debit is accepted online and in mobile apps, over the phone, and by mail at participating merchants in Canada.
• It can also be used to pay for any recurring payments you may have (e.g., Netflix, Amazon, subscription services, etc.) and even for paying your monthly bills (e.g., Enmax, Shaw, Telus, etc.).
International Merchants (Including US) Online, Over the Phone and By Mail
• Visa Debit is accepted by US and international retailers that accept Visa online, in mobile apps, by telephone and mail order.
In Stores Outside Canada
• When shopping in stores outside of Canada, Visa Debit is accepted wherever Visa is accepted. Look for the Visa acceptance mark.
Note: The payment methods for eCommerce (online transactions) are determined by the retailer, so some online retailers may not accept payments by Visa Debit. Please check the retailer’s website to confirm accepted payment methods.
Using your Visa Debit card.
When completing your online purchase, select Visa Debit or Visa as the payment/card type. Although the Visa Debit is not a credit card, it acts as one when making online purchases.
You’ll need to enter your Visa Debit card number, expiry, and security code (CVV found on the back of the card) in the required fields.
Note: Accepted payment methods for online retailers or eCommerice sites are determined by the retailer, so some online retailers may not accept payments by Visa Debit. Please check the retailer’s website to confirm accepted payment methods.
Yes! Your Visa Debit card can be used to pay for any recurring payments you may have (e.g., Netflix, Amazon, subscription services, etc.) and even for paying your monthly bills (e.g., Enmax, Shaw, Telus, etc.).
These transactions are processed the same way as other card-not-present Visa transactions. You will be required to provide your account information such as the card number, expiry date, and the 3-digit security code (CVV).
Visa Debit is accepted at millions of merchants worldwide and can be used for purchases made in store, online, over the phone and by mail. When shopping outside of Canada look for the Visa acceptance mark. (add) Please note, point-of-sale Interac Flash tap payments are only accepted within Canada. International payments require a PIN transaction.
Acceptance experience may vary from one country to another and will typically require either a PIN or signature to process transactions at points of sale.
Yes, Visa Debit works at Canadian ATMs, but the transaction will be processed by Interac. Like with your MemberCard, you simply insert the card into the ATM, enter your PIN, and select the desired function (withdraw cash, make deposits, transfer funds, check account balances).
Visa Debit can be used to withdraw funds directly from your bank account at more than 2.2 million ATMs around the world where Visa is accepted. Just look for the Visa acceptance mark.
Think of your connectFirst Visa Debit card as a debit card, but with added features so you can complete transactions that were only once possible with a credit card – things like hotel reservations, online purchases, and in-app purchases.
Transactions made on your Visa Debit card come directly out of your chequing or savings account, not on credit. Because of this, there’s no due dates or payments to worry about.
Because it is tied to your chequing or savings account and is not a credit product, your Visa Debit card does not affect your credit score in any way.
Understanding transactions, holds, and card limits.
When making a Visa Debit payment, the funds come out of the primary chequing account associated with the card. This is the same account that you access by selecting "chequing" when you make a debit purchase with your MemberCard.
It’s important to note that eCommerce or online transactions will not work with Visa Debit cards linked to a savings account. You may still use it for ATM and point-of-sale transactions, and applicable surcharges may apply.
If you’d like to use your Visa Debit card for eCommerce and online purchase, we’re happy to open a chequing account that suits your needs. Get in touch by calling Member Connection Centre at 1.866.923.4778 or visiting your local branch.
All ATM and point of sale (POS) transactions completed within Canada are processed the exact same way as your existing MemberCard or any debit cards.
Transactions completed via eCommerce (online), telephone, or International POS are processed on the Visa network. This means that transactions will process similar to how credit card transactions are processed. At the time of purchase, a hold is placed on your account for the amount of the purchase or pre-authorization. When the merchant processes their card transactions or when the order has been fulfilled, the purchase will debit your account and the hold will be released.
The purchase amount will be held until the merchant processes their card transactions and your account is debited. Depending on the merchant, it can take 1-2 days on average for a purchase to clear through your account. Some retailers can take up to 5 days. The hold amount will affect your available balance.
This is similar to a pending transaction that you would see on your credit card, which can take several business days to post.
The limit on your Visa Debit card is determined based on the available balance in your account, including available overdrafts, attached line of credit, etc.
Yes, the limits are the same as your existing MemberCard. Completing a PIN transaction will reset the cumulative total to zero.
Yes! The daily transaction limits for ATM or chip-and-pin point of sale transactions can be adjusted on your Visa Debit card. You can do this by visiting your local branch or by calling Member Connection Centre at 1.866.923.4778.
Please note that we’re currently unable to adjust your contactless limit (i.e., Interac Flash) but this can be disabled upon request.
Protecting your Visa Debit card from fraud and unauthorized transactions.
Yes! All cardholders are automatically enrolled to receive text alerts from Visa. You will receive a text when your Visa Debit card is used on the Visa network (i.e., online purchases).
To cancel Visa Alerts, text STOP as a reply to any received Visa Alert.
To reinstate the Visa alerts, please contact your branch or our Member Connection Centre for assistance at 1-866-923-4778.
Using our self-serve fraud management features, you can customize your notifications based on your preferences and risk tolerance right from one of our digital banking platforms, such as our mobile app or online banking.
Your connectFirst Visa Debit card is covered by Interac® and Visa's zero liability policy, which means you won’t be liable for any unauthorized transactions that occur using your Visa Debit card where you have:
Exercised reasonable care in safeguarding your debit card and PIN from any unauthorized use, loss, or theft
Immediately reported to connectFirst any loss or theft of the Debit card
Notified connectFirst of the unauthorized transactions within a reasonable time
Setting up your digital wallet.
If you’ve recently received your new Visa Debit card and have only had it for <31 days, you may add it to your digital wallet by visiting your local branch or by calling Member Connection Centre at 1.866.923.4778.
If you’ve had your Visa Debit card for 31 days or more, you can add it to your digital wallet yourself. Learn how here.
You can start using your digital wallet immediately after your Visa Debit card has been added. If you are using your Visa Debit for a purchase online and you are typing the card number in, you will need to activate the card by doing a Chip & Pin transaction.
Manage your card security settings.
- Temporarily lock your debit cards to prevent all future transactions.
- Lock POS transactions to restrict all point-of-sale purchases within Canada.
- Lock international POS transactions to restrict all point-of-sale purchases outside of Canada.
- Lock ATM transactions to restrict all ATM withdrawals performed within Canada.
- Lock international ATM transactions to restrict all ATM withdrawals performed outside Canada.
- Set worldwide ATM and POS "per-transaction" limits for withdrawals and purchases.
- Lock contactless payments to restrict "tap" and in-app mobile transactions.
- Lock contactless smart card transactions to restrict NFC and "tap" flash payments.
- Turn on text notifications for attempted use of a locked card.